<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Armchair Liturgist: Church Etiquette
My intent with this occasional feature is to provide readers with a constructive way to express their preferred liturgical policy on some matters. Sometimes I offer my own opinion, but more frequently, I've presented actual problems as they are brought to me and/or the staff of parishes, or sometimes interesting issues I've read about online or heard about from other parishes. I'd like to see these threads get the heaviest comments, as it gives you, the underrepresented pewfolk, a chance to weigh in on policy: how your parish does it and/or how you would do it if you were the boss. Frequent guest John Heavrin supplies the issue of the day, one which centers around the important matter of etiquette in Church and how to develop a better sense of it. (H)ow does, or should, a parish handle the ever-increasing problem of a) immodest dress in church, especially during warm weather b) cell phones, gum chewing, etc. in church, and c) showing disrespect for the Blessed Sacrament and the church in general by talking and "visiting" throughout the church before and after Mass. This a huge and growing problem, and I suspect pastors and staffs are basically afraid (if they care in the first place) to correct their parishioners. I'll post my answers tomorrow.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Alliance for Moderate, Liberal and Progressive Blogs

Join | List | Previous | Next