<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, April 27, 2006

DaVinci Code
Zenit has a quote from liturgy head Cardinal Francis Arinze. I've lost track of the Catholic bloggers who have written books or set up sites to debunk the book/movie. I saw the trailer on tv last night. My wife remarked, "I'd like to see that movie." Before you start accusing my wife of being a gnostic heretic, let me say two things: 1. She likes thrillers 2. While she herself could debunk the silly notion of Jesus and Mary Magdalen having children, she doesn't think that the film will be damaging to her faith and would go for reason #1. Personally, I think it's a book ... er, a movie. I don't think JRR Tolkien convinced anyone that the Earth used to be flat. Dan Brown is an author of fiction. I can probably pick apart three-fourths of the science fiction literary universe for propounding science errors. But it's just fiction. People are getting fooled, some have argued, into thinking the Catholic Church is something it's not. Well ... people will believe what they want to believe. Especially when the story is credible. And sad to say, the Catholic bishops of the world have painted themselves into a corner in which conspiracy theories are more than a little believable. I bought this book for my parish. But there's been very little buzz about book, movie, or the need for decoding in my parish circles. We might offer a course in New Testament Greek, though. First Divine Mercy, now language studies: what will be left for the conservatives to complain about?

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Alliance for Moderate, Liberal and Progressive Blogs

Join | List | Previous | Next