<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Where To Send A child?
Many adoptions are made by family members. When Anita and I were in classes and going to workshops, we met a few folks who were adopting their grandchildren. Social workers look favorably on this. It can leave open the possibility of a relationship with birth parents if they were ever to get their lives back in order. Reinforcing an existing family tie can be a lifeline for a traumatized child. If, heaven forbid, something were to happen to me and my wife, our daughter would go to live with my brother and his wife back east. We would do the same with any niece or nephew who needed to be with us. I'm sure many people would. On the gay adoption front, I wonder how the issue would or could be finessed if the nearest willing relative were SSA. What if the choice were foster care, a group home, or an SSA relative?

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Alliance for Moderate, Liberal and Progressive Blogs

Join | List | Previous | Next