<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, March 13, 2006

What Are The Liberal Catholics?
A good discussion on dotCommonweal about it. I have a lot more to write about this, but I have a library trip and a dinner out with my family pretty soon here. One comment struck me, though: Only when progressives find that they have something counter-cultural and useful to say on these issues will they regain their relevance. Until then, I suspect their influence will be more divisive than instructive. I wish it weren't so, but I am not sure how else to view it. And I'm not sure what to say about this. Progressives were criticized in previous generations because they were counter-cultural. If the perception is that progressives have adopted modern values, I'd say they've set aside being progressive. Let's recall that forming communes and communities apart was a progressive hallmark of the 60's and 70's. Now pizza moguls talk about it. Let's not forget that defense of the weak and underprivileged was also a hallmark of progressives. Pardon me for parting company with the mainstream pseudo-Left, but progressives like Nat Henthoff (and me and millions of others) are still opposed to abortion on demand. I'm going to suggest that the abortion movement is actually a conservative Trojan Horse. It's also part of the Establishment, and therefore, utterly conservative ... but that's a topic for another day. My take on selected side topics in this discussion: The pre-conciliar Church did a better job of community. And communities raise up leaders like priests. The pothole was not liberal Catholicism, but suburban life in the First World. So maybe I should say that the pre-suburban culture did community better than the cul-de-sac culture does it today. I also think that many progressives have done a poor, poor job of mentoring. Let me ask priests and church musicians out there: how many vocations to your vocation have you been responsible for? In no way, do I consider authentic liberalism, either the secular brand or the Catholic version to be a sell-out to the mainstream of society. Maybe individuals have compromised their liberal values. Hmmm. And maybe it's time to hit the road, folks. Talk to you again soon.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Alliance for Moderate, Liberal and Progressive Blogs

Join | List | Previous | Next