<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, December 29, 2005

Keeping Festival and Hoping to Avoid a Major Homicide To Boot
Actually, it's quite boring to an outside observer. Each day, I've slept later, showered later, brushed my teeth later, and fixed the child's breakfast later. But does it feel good to roam around the house in pajamas! I imagine it must have been like this for medieval aristocracy, hunkered down in their drafty castles, wrapped up with blankets and hunting dogs, and feasting off leftovers while the children got into mischief. Minus the tv, computer, and blowtorch, of course. Here's a little moral dilemma for any of you Monday morning moral theologians in the audience: (Beware: soft sciences advisory) Our next-door neighbor confided to my wife a few weeks ago in passing her live-in fiance "had a temper." (No wonder we've not been seen on the premises in weeks.) Said ex-fiance came to our door today asking for a ride to CVS to get a card and pick up a purchase. Before I fully collected my wits, I agreed. On the drive, he mentioned he has a big feast prepared for "his wife's" return. After my return, I consulted with my wife. While I was getting into decent clothing, he had lied to my wife, saying ___ was "his wife." This was their snippet as related to me post-chauffer: "___ got married?!" my wife asked. "Well, we're actually engaged, but I get tired of referring to her as my fiancee," he said. My wife did concede our neighbor mentioned her friend ___ was going to be spending the week. Was that the dude's name? I asked. (I'm not really on much of a familiarity with my neighbors, I must confess.) My wife than mentioned that after he temper-challenged fiance's departure, she changed the locks and installed a security system. Clearly, if I had her work number, we'd call to confirm all this. I could call the police and land everybody in one embarassing mess, if we were wrong and she did take Mr Temper back. The kicker was that he does know we gave her some curtains--a fact he could only have learned from his (ex?) fiance directly. We're keeping a close eye on the house next door, and if there's even a rumble to suggest a problem, well, as they say in Rome, IX, I, I. I think you have to be on more than a chat-over-the-fence, I-don't-know-your-last-name-or-your-work-number to tell someone that temper-challenged boyfriends are not the prime fish of the sea. What would you have done?

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Alliance for Moderate, Liberal and Progressive Blogs

Join | List | Previous | Next