<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, October 23, 2005

Dress Up

Fellow KC blogger Curmudgeon suggests that when you go to the symphony, "dress like you're going to the symphony. Don't people know how to dress anymore? There were only a smattering of sportcoats and ties out there, much less men in suits. What's the world coming to when open shirts outnumber ties 2 to 1 at a Saturday night symphony concert?"

I have to agree with my reactionary neighbor.

Brittany rolled her eyes last month when we went to the Friends of Chamber Music season opener and I said at 6:35, "Time to get dressed up!" I think the champagne and chocolates made up for it. The former for me, the latter for the women of the family.

As it is, I had forgotten I had highlighted that concert. I love the Rimsky-Korsakov Scheherazade. I have a good recording of it, and I play it somewhat frequently. My first favorite musical version of the storytelling princess on a stay of execution was this one by the outstanding and vastly underrated rock band Renaissance, fans of which can check out a substantial site here.

As it is I spent much of the evening playing Jumanji with Brit, then curling up with this book, reviewed here.

Enjoyed a hectic day: Children's Choir at 9AM, then our small adult choir went to our sister parish for 11AM Mass, St Louis as part of a choir/pulpit exchange, then back for the noon Mass at STM lickety split, for my scheduled sacristan was in a car accident a few days ago and my other regular was out of town. Then over for Jazz and Barbecue in the school aud, food provided by the St Louis Parish Men's Club.

Tonight, I finish Atonement and listen to more music. But I won't be wearing a suit and tie.


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Alliance for Moderate, Liberal and Progressive Blogs

Join | List | Previous | Next