<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, May 12, 2005

More Liturgical Snapshots
Ascension Sunday: This concession doesn't bother me too much. I'd prefer a holy day on the 40th day of Easter, but I'd also prefer a church and school holiday, too, complete with a parish feast after an evening Mass. Since I'm not likely to get it, I can live with Ascension Sunday, knowing it was once celebrated six weeks earlier on Easter along with the descent of the Holy Spirit. Extinguishing the Easter Candle on Ascension: What? Is anybody still doing this? I thought it went out with balloons. Sequences: I know their liturgical pedigree, but given that they're dropped in on unsuspecting congregations so infrequently, do they really heighten the liturgy of the word? Or are they sort of a formalized Kahlil Gibran: post-Biblical poetry that has stumbled its way between New Testament readings? Pentecostal peccadilloes: Asking people to wear red to church, birthday cakes (though I do know this notion has some pre-conciliar legs on it), ignoring the Pentecost Vigil liturgy, and not using the Easter Candle (see above) First Communions on Saturdays: I'm the first to admit it: it's a long tradition in my parish to do it the day before Mother's Day. A person who should know better asked me, "Do we have to come back tomorrow for Sunday Mass?" All together now, people: "Heck, yeah." First Communions belong on Sunday ... I'm about 90% convinced on that one, surprisingly wishy-washy for a liturgist, don't you think? I'm also in favor of first or second graders celebrating First Communion when they are ready. But the odyssey to convince the Catholic Catechetical Establishment of that one would make Shackleton's Antarctic ordeal look like a stroll in the park. Light blogging due to unknown illness this week. (Anita cautions that a doctor's visit may be in the works: she's noticed a large bruise on my elbow (which I saw) and that my fingers had turned green (which I didn't see) so I may be bundled off to my family physician tomorrow if I'm not careful.) I made it into the parish office long enough to rehearse the Confirmation musicians Monday and to come back to set up for and celebrate Confirmation Wednesday. Forty-six more "soldiers for Christ" unleashed on the world. Look out Kansas City. Except for Neil, there may be light blogging here for a few days, possibly more. Be sure to comment on his threads: his kind of writing needs to be encouraged far more than mine. Happy bir... I mean blessed Pentecost to all.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Alliance for Moderate, Liberal and Progressive Blogs

Join | List | Previous | Next