<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, December 12, 2004

Blogging, but not writing, ambivalence Believe it or not, about every one or two, I reconsider the effort of blogging. With the exception of the occasional friends who bother to act with civility, I have to admit it rates something akin to a mild addiction. I know in my head that I should stay away from it, but the thrill of trumping a woefully poor conservative argument or dropping some sarcasm seems so tempting. A better approach would be to write well here, rather than quickly or sloppily. And write about topics that really have meaning. Given the orthodontist's bill (I was a little taken aback that the copay was 61% of the bill, but on second thought, that's probably not surprising) looming on the financial horizon, writing profitably might be a good option, too. The Development Council produced a seven-minute video on the parish as part of this year's pledge drive. The Worship Team rather reamed the idea of taking an Advent Sunday for it. But it was well done, and our pastor gamely preached on both gospels last weekend, so if the drive proves successful (and with a new pastor and new energy on this Development Committee, it has a chance) maybe it will be for the best. I got to play technical backstop at six Masses this weekend, and fortunately, after a rough spot or two Saturday night, today saw no problems. Evening Prayer tonight, not really well attended, but I'm not bothered by that at the moment. It was nice to just be able to worship without juggling a half-dozen technical tasks I hope won't be needed in future efforts. I sold a small article on my first pitch to a magazine for which I'd never written. Anita saw the e-mail first and was excited about it. I was too. The germ of the idea was Liam's, so if you're in Kansas City sometime, buddy, the first round's on me. About three years ago while Anita was going crazy in small-town Iowa, I considered, then shelved some writing concepts. Maybe I need to go back to them. Braces in 2005; who knows what's on the horizon beyond? After a full, but fatiguing weekend at the parish, I feel more energetic for writing; less for blogging. I've been cutting back on my appearances elsewhere (even as some faithful bloggers have quit or gone on hiatus). It would be good to focus on this blog--most of the best bloggers write more or less exclusively for their home sites. Blogging will likely be a bit heavier here the coming week, lighter the next, of course. Stay awake ... even as I go happily to bed tonight.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Alliance for Moderate, Liberal and Progressive Blogs

Join | List | Previous | Next