<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, November 17, 2004

What's Playing Mark O'Connor's The American Seasons. His web site is here: http://www.markoconnor.com/. I remember his contributions to "spacegrass" music in the 80's. I enjoy his forays into classical music as much, if not more. Naqoyqatsi by Philip Glass, too. Got a call from the symphony last night while I was cooking dinner. They want to sell ticket packages. Nice person who was knowledgeable about classical music (not always a given on these calls) and science fiction (we talked about sf stories in which timeline jumpers brought back recordings of the Beatles (who never broke up) doing things like "Jet," "Imagine", "It Don't Come Easy" and "All Things Must Pass" from an alternate universe). Then I started thinking, what if Gershwin's brain condition had been diagnosed in time in 1938? Would this year's concert schedule include Symphony no 4 (1966)? Another timeline, I guess. If the local symphony programmed more American music outside of its Pops series, I'd consider one of those partial subscriptions. A new director will bring a new emphasis (I hope), but without more American music on their docket, I'd rather listen to great new cd's like O'Connor's, and pick and choose the one or two really interesting programs they put together.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Alliance for Moderate, Liberal and Progressive Blogs

Join | List | Previous | Next