<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, November 04, 2004

Moral values and authenticity Bear with me as I draw a few thoughts together on the pope's recent letter, the elections, and the Catholic approaches to morality and justice. First, the end of 28th section of Mane Nobiscum Domine: "We cannot delude ourselves: by our mutual love and, in particular, by our concern for those in need we will be recognized as true followers of Christ (cf. Jn 13:35; Mt 25:31-46). This will be the criterion by which the authenticity of our Eucharistic celebrations is judged." Pope John Paul uses a somewhat different approach than legalists who focus on validity and liceity. We can do an isolated act of worship correctly and properly and with spiritual intent. But without a connection to charity and justice, the whole effectiveness and purpose of what we do is called into question. Rightly so, I think. Second, my observation that the so-called moral values issue of this year's election is possibly too easy. What I mean: it is easier for a person to decry another's immorality--their abortions, their gay lifestyle, even their harboring of sexual predators. Do we muster the same passion for our own failings? I suspect we should. At least, I know I should. But maybe we don't. And I know I don't always. I was getting into a point with Rich Leonardi on Open Book about this. I find myself suspicious of the alleged "moral stance" of the country in the wake of Bush's reelection and other Republican successes. Not because I harbor feelings in favor of abortion on demand, but because I question the authenticity of those who use (or perhaps boast on) the "moral" vote while harboring no intent to look within to reform lives as they ask others to do the same. While I have no doubt that numerous repentant Christians lined up with the president against gay marriage and widespread abortion, I feel deeply doubtful about the morality on the political or cultural end. I wonder too if it's more personal discomfort with gays moving in next door with two children and a minivan. I wonder if it's more personal discomfort with racks of embryos grown in laboratories for harvesting. I wonder if it's more personal discomfort with millions of abortions that just don't seem to be improving poverty, women's rights, or really much of anything in society. After all, it's easier to condemn a person we don't know for what we don't do. I suspect we get a little softer when our own son or daughter turns out gay, or when we believe the rhetoric that some embryo's stem cells might turn our parent back from the onset of Alzheimer's, or when somebody close to us is pregnant with a rapists child. That doesn't mean the moral decision is different. It's just harder to get where we might need to be. Then I came back to that last comment in MND 28: "This will be the criterion by which the authenticity of our Eucharistic celebrations is judged." And perhaps this applies to our politics as well. We pat ourselves on the back for a job well done Tuesday: a stand for moral values. But without the drive and concern for our own moral values, perhaps our own stand loses a bit of authenticity. This is what liberals are driving at who criticize those Republicans who seem to protect life only until it gets out of the womb. If you or I or anyone are going to live and die on the moral high ground, we need to be authentic. After getting moral call right, I think the authenticity factor is just about as important as it gets.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Alliance for Moderate, Liberal and Progressive Blogs

Join | List | Previous | Next