<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, October 09, 2004

This weekend at the parish Sorry for the light blogging this week. It has been rather busy at the parish with some evening meetings plus the usual choir rehearsals. The clergy are into it a bit more heavily this weekend than I: back from clergy renewal at Conception Abbey and full into two weddings and seven Masses. Checked off already: - two new altar servers in training I, one trained server tested and liturgist-approved Still on my to-do list: - Get my Generations of Faith plug tightened up for Mass tonight and organize my music - Play at Saturday 5, Sunday 9, sacristan at Sunday 12, Eucharistic Minister training after noon Mass - Get the hospitalized parishioners on the prayer list for Mass Maybe if I can squeeze an hour between now and 5PM, I can edit some old music into my new Sibelius 3 software. Thankfully, my nine-year old Concertware easily saved hundreds of original songs, and vocal and instrumental arrangements into MIDI, which Sibelius was able to read and produce in its own format. Looking in on my SATB-keyboard-guitar-flute-trumpet arrangement of For the Beauty of the Earth, something weird happened: the left hand piano split into two bass clefs. On my setting of Psalm 63, the vocal line and keyboard part were off by two measures plus a beat. Playing it back on Sibelius and suddenly, I'm in Steve Reich territory. This weekend's liturgical music: For service music, see a few Sundays ago Psalmody: 98, All The Ends of the Earth (Haas/Haugen GC 95 or Alstott setting, cantor's preference) Hymnody: GC474 Holy Holy Holy GC 694 Now We Remain GC814 Taste and See (James Moore setting) GC520 All the Ends of the Earth Other: Sending of catechumens: refrain of GC95 I appreciate my planners matching an exact setting of Psalm 98. For a parish using common psalms, my preference would probably be to use Psalm 100 or maybe 95, and leave 98 as an exclusively Christmas piece. Evening Prayer and piano dedication was a great success last weekend. Three young women (approximate ages 11, 15, and 17) each had a nice piece to play in the recital portion. The youngest did a nice short Mozart piece; I was very impressed. Almost 80 showed up, a good bit more than when we do Advent or Lent evening prayer.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Alliance for Moderate, Liberal and Progressive Blogs

Join | List | Previous | Next