<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, August 22, 2004

Input requested on the unexpected Favor to ask ... Would you read over this brief article I'm pondering putting in the parish bulletin? The letter in question has bothered me far more than I thought it would. I'm angry about it and I need some guidance on my response. I know there's anger in it, but one part of me thinks the issue should be confronted. Just so you know, my parishioners are accustomed to my outspokenness on things. I'm not afraid to ruffle things a bit. "Many, many thanks to the volunteers and participants of the Young Persons Music Retreat a week ago Thursday. I wouldn’t underestimate the value and power of over a hundred parishioners spending the afternoon dedicating themselves to God. It was about the perfect remedy for an anonymous letter I received earlier in that week. My first instinct with unsigned letters is to consign them to the trash can without consideration. But my curiosity got the better of me. "Last Sunday’s paper printed a fine piece on the monks of Conception Abbey and their response to senseless murder with forgiveness and serenity. I was struck by this radical Christian response of personal engagement. The monks didn’t wall themselves up and lock their doors. In fact, the new Welcome Center at the monastery was built as planned. They did exactly the opposite of what non-believers would do: offered a murderer a Christian burial and refused to give in to fear and evil. "STM is not a perfect parish. And God knows I’ve been the architect of earthly imperfection from time to time. But I think part of the challenge to be a vibrant and faithful parish is to confront and engage the life of faith as best as we can. We waste opportunities when we abjure actions for anonymous words. Maybe it’s time for the unexpected. "People critical of STM or some aspects of our parish should regard the example of Conception. We should consider doing the exact opposite of what non-Christians would do. Rather than leave a parish that has hurt us, we should get involved even more deeply. Rather than criticize a group that offends us, we should humbly join it and assist with its reform. Rather than speak ill of sisters and brothers in Christ, we should have good things to say about them in public, and build up the Body." Any thoughts?

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Alliance for Moderate, Liberal and Progressive Blogs

Join | List | Previous | Next