<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, August 16, 2004

The Cultural End of Summer Galling as it is for an astronomy buff to admit it, summer is nearly over. It was bad enough when I was a kid and I had to admit that Labor Day was the Last Day of Summer (back in the good old days when school didn't start till September). North Carolinians have legislated that school won't begin until August 25th. Apparently the water theme park lobby has hit the NC legislators hard, at least according to NPR. August 18th isn't unreasonably bad for back to school, but according to the earth's orbit, we still have 35% of the summer to go. If I were a kid, I think I'd be ticked. On other end of summer news: our parish's Mass attendance surged past 2000 for the first time since late Spring. And altar server absenteeism was at a decent 15% this weekend. We have a "Young Person's Music Retreat" at the parish this Thursday (think VBS with music and catechesis switching places of honor). I forgot to request $3 for lunch from each kid, but with registrations at about 70 -- not bad for a first-time event, I think my budget can handle a hit on the food front. If it pays off with some children's choir members later this summer -- I mean Fall, I'll be happy. Light blogging this week again. Lots to get ready.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Alliance for Moderate, Liberal and Progressive Blogs

Join | List | Previous | Next