<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Various things as I stay up late   My dear wife's hamster got loose again last week. We keep the "prey" in the basement (three rabbits, two guinea pigs and Jack the hamster) away from the "predators" on the main floor (three cats and a dog). Jack found his way under the sink and cabinets next to my den and was not to be moved. A little while ago, as I was finishing up some computer stuff I heard the little guy rustling near my chair. Block the doors, quick! Get his exercise sphere. Jack is not pleased about being returned to his "habitat." But at least he's not thirsty now. He's been scarfing off the rabbits' food for four days now. He's pouting now, but he'll soon see the wisdom of dried corn, sunflower seeds, bits of fresh broccoli and carrot, and a water tube that's always filled.   Won a backgammon tournament tonight. Have any of you played? I learned in college, but gave it up until six years ago when I started playing online. I'm getting the itch in my mind I'm playing a little too much these days. When I was younger, I started noticing my miserable attitude when I would lose at games. A college friend brutally pointed it out to me. I thank her. One moment of honesty and I can do a better job assessing if and when the games are taking over my life.   Day off tomorrow. Anita suggested we three hit the art gallery. Sounds good to me. Weather report says it will be too danged hot to do much of anything outdoors.   What's playing now ... The Australian Broadcast Corporation's classical web site. A good show called "Perspectives." The past two weeks, I've been listening to the morning show from ABC. The weather reports just slay me. Winter in Australia. What a hoot. Temps in the teens and even single digits in places. That Celsius scale, of course. I know the high in Esperance, Western Australia yesterday was 15. Probably useless information that's taking up three or four brain cells.   What's on the bookshelf now ... Lamar Alexander's Six Months Off. Not nearly as well written as Bobby Fischer Goes To War but lots of fun. I yearn for the day when I could take my family to Australia for six months. But heaven knows what Jack would get into while we were gone. Meanwhile, if you're a chess player, get this book. Serendipitous thing: just as I finished it and brought the book out to the living room, Anita mentioned they arrested Bobby Fischer in Japan. Lo and behold, there it was on CNN.   Good night, all.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Alliance for Moderate, Liberal and Progressive Blogs

Join | List | Previous | Next