<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, July 15, 2004

Credentials for lay people In the thread below, Liam makes a good point about credentials for lay ministry. While I don't entirely agree with him, I think there is a value in permitting lived experience to substitute for academic achievement. I've seen this done well. In my previous diocese, there was a bit of resistance to pastoral associate certification. Some rural PA's saw it as a potential threat, a justification that a ruthless pastor could use to evict someone out of a position. Bad administrators will usually find an excuse to can someone, and we tried to encourage people that five, ten, twenty years of experience was important evidence of a person's skill in a ministry position. Personally, I find there is always something new to learn. I never had conservatory training as a musician, so whenever I sit down at the organ console, piano bench, or strap on a guitar, I'm not putting my diploma to work. But even in theological areas, I find it vital to stay updated and keep my mind sharp and aware. When handled properly, certification is a good thing. It permits people to take pride in their leader, and the minister has a useful benchmark to guide their own progress in skills.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Alliance for Moderate, Liberal and Progressive Blogs

Join | List | Previous | Next