<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, June 23, 2004

East While researching my monthly column in Ministry & Liturgy, I ran across a small feature at the Catholic News Service (CNS) about bassist Nathan East. CNS touted his time with Eric Clapton, but I know East as a member of the jazz supergroup Foreplay. Which only shows that I don't read rock liner notes as carefully as I read the booklets that go with my jazz cd's. CNS reports: "(East) got his start playing bass in church. "When Raymond and David (two of East's brothers) were playing with the folk Mass at Christ the King Church in San Diego, where we all got started, there was a bass laying on the altar," East recalled. "I picked it up. I was surprised how easy it was. I could contribute from day one."" Starting the bass is fairly easy, but playing it well takes time and talent. I noted that Ray East, a contributor to the GIA African-American hymnals, is his brother. Today's lessons: - Read my liner notes more carefully. - If your guitar group doesn't have a pianist, you really need a bass player. Trust me on this one: you NEED a bass player. And even if you have a pianist, a bass player is still a very good idea.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Alliance for Moderate, Liberal and Progressive Blogs

Join | List | Previous | Next