<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, May 03, 2004

Farewell, Sursum Corda Check the link in the sidebar if you have no idea what I'm talking about. One of my favorite bloggers plans to shut down. I can appreciate the decision, though it saddens and worries me. For the past few years, I've given up blogging and commentary during Lent. But not this past year. I can't say my Lent was really improved over previous years. My best Lents seem to be farther in the past: 1970 (before my baptism), 1986 (a good start in Combermere), 1993 (recovering from back surgery), 1996 maybe (final stages of a planning a parish renovation). So maybe that's not a good guidepost. I frequently ask myself why I bother in the bloggerhood. Do I enjoy getting under peoples' skins? Is it a convenient, semi-anonymous way to be a smart ass like I would never dream of being at the parish? Or maybe I find the challenge of writing short essays and exchanging banter with rather like-minded others a refreshing change from the occasional apathy of real-life Catholicism. Probably these and a few other reasons, maybe most of them not grace-filled. If Peter Nixon is considering giving up blogging, I would have enough respect for him as an authority to consider doing it myself. In two weeks, I'll be on retreat, and though it would be tempting and convenient to access the net at the Conception Library, I think it will be an easy pass. If it weren't, then I'd know I should retire from this medium. And as far as writing is concerned, I could be developing ideas for publishers if I wanted to make a little spare cash. If I wanted more edification, I could decide to hunker down and get to work on my novel. Heaven knows the sf market needs good new work, and there's probably no friendlier place for a first-time novelist. Hmmm.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Alliance for Moderate, Liberal and Progressive Blogs

Join | List | Previous | Next