<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, April 26, 2004

Bread, cup, and a meal Some people tend to get bothered about the language we use in connection with the Mass. (And no, I don't mean the language used in the parking lot after Mass.) Every so often, I find corrections in the printed Eucharistic Minister sign-in list in my parish. "Bread" and "Cup" have been crossed out and penciled in are "Body of Christ" and "Blood of Christ." Being a generally cheerful person, I don't let it spoil my day. Lacking any concrete request to alter my practice, I don't change it, but I also leave the edit in place. So I did a little research in my (admittedly outdated) 1975 Sacramentary and Eucharistic Prayer supplement. Does the Church really look askance on this talk of "bread, cup, and a meal?" These are the post-consecration references for the sacrament: MA: "When we eat this bread and drink this cup ..." EP I: “... the bread of life and the cup of eternal salvation” EP II: “... this life-giving bread, this saving cup” EP IV: “Gather all who share this bread and wine ...” C1: “... the bread that gives us life, and the cup that saves us” And some other references with "meal": C2: "Send the Holy Spirit to all of us who share in this meal." C3: "Through this sacred meal, give us strength ..." R2: "Fill us with his Spirit through our sharing in this meal." Language is important: this I will not deny. But a scrupulosity of words may not be productive, nor might it point us in the ideal direction.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Alliance for Moderate, Liberal and Progressive Blogs

Join | List | Previous | Next