<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, March 09, 2004

If I lived in Rochester, it might be a big deal, but from my vantage point (Kansas City) New England and upstate New York look the same: rather impossible to go as a cheering, gawking alumnus. Still, it will be fun to tune in on internet radio this weekend to catch March Madness Division III style, an edition of college sports without the over-hype and scandal of so-called major intercollegiate athletics (much of which I view as minor league football and basketball in disguise). I do remember my student days when Rochester played one-third of its schedule versus Division I teams. Except for a tussle against Phil Ford, Dean Smith, and those Tarheels in 1977, UR generally was outmanned against what today would be I-AA schools. Still, a touch assignment for a school that awarded no athletic scholarships. But back in the Olden Days of college sports, my alma mater completed an undefeated season in 1942-43 against the usual Ivy-laden suspects as well as Ohio State. My uncle played on that team before shipping off to combat in North Africa. Dad was a tad sad his son never showed similar aptitude. Anyway, no matter where your school loyalties lie, have an enjoyably mad March, but remember to keep it in perspective.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Alliance for Moderate, Liberal and Progressive Blogs

Join | List | Previous | Next