<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, December 05, 2003

Whew! I don't have to ditch my dulcimers. Peace, all. I noted the CNS story on the pope's new document on sacred music. Two quotes: "'To the degree that they help the prayer of the church,' other instruments and musical styles 'can be a precious enrichment.'" Roll out the drums and dulcimers. The pope also criticized "elitist" attempts to "introduce into the liturgy ancient or contemporary compositions which, while perhaps having artistic value, indulge in a language that is incomprehensible." I love Latin plainsong more than most Catholics, but even I have to feel a bit of relief at this comment. Imposing an exclusive high-church culture cannot possible hope to succeed for the mainstream parish music ministry.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Alliance for Moderate, Liberal and Progressive Blogs

Join | List | Previous | Next