<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, December 15, 2003

Peace, all. Just had to comment on Lauryn Hill's taking the Vatican to task a few days ago. Reuters gives this brief tale at http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=638&e=3&u=/nm/20031214/en_nm/pope_protest_dc if you want to look it up. Online today, I've read people calling Ms. Hill narcissistic, boorish, self-righteous, rude, delusional, and immature. I've been surprised by a few sympathizers, and I'd like to cast my hat into the latter ring. I can't say I was in attendance that fateful night, but from what I've read attributed to the singer, I see nothing drastically out of kilter. I have no doubt that her remarks were felt as quite hurtful by a few prelates in the audience. But certainly, this is no instance of Sinead O'Connor tearing up the pope's picture on Saturday Night Live. It sounds to me as if Ms. Hill was indulging in two of the works of mercy: admonishing the sinner and instructing the ignorant. I hold no sympathy for the crowd who is outraged that someone would presume to insult the clergy so. And in the Vatican, too. Rome seems the perfect place for someone to criticize the hierarchy's handling of clergy sex abuse. My advice to the bishops: take your medicine and keep the nose to the grindstone on this issue. Ms. O'Connor's career pretty much went into the tank after her demonstration. Somehow, I suspect Ms. Hill will be seen much more sympathetically by Catholics and non-Catholics alike for what she said and where she said it. But I wonder what song she sang. Does anybody know?

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Alliance for Moderate, Liberal and Progressive Blogs

Join | List | Previous | Next