<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

God's Silence This a poem from Franz Wright's new collection, God's Silence, which I am very slowly reading. Recently, Wright told Mark Temelko of the Anchorage Daily News, who asked about the religious writers who have been important to his thinking "as a Catholic, as an intellectual, as a poet": I love the 17th-century English poets in general: John Donne, George Herbert, Vaughan. Herbert is particularly interesting to me because of his sort of painful faith, his painful form of Christianity, extremely dark and skeptical, sort of a struggling, groping form of faith. That's very moving to me because it seems to reflect the condition of anybody who's involved in any kind of spiritual pursuit. You're constantly coming up against your own insufficiency, your own weaknesses as a human being, your own hypocrisy and your own failings. An earlier interview with the New Yorker is here. Did This Ever Happen to You A marble-colored cloud engulfed the sun and stalled, a skinny squirrel limped toward me as I crossed the empty park and froze, the last or next to last fall leaf fell but before it touched the earth, with shocking clarity I heard my mother's voice pronounce my name. And in an instant I passed beyond sorrow and terror, and was carried up into the imageless bright darkness I came from and am. Nobody's stronger than forgiveness.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Alliance for Moderate, Liberal and Progressive Blogs

Join | List | Previous | Next